One of the best parts about being a style blogger is the opportunity to try out new products – and a well-kept secret about me: I’m a beauty product junkie. The perfect dry shampoo, the brightest under-eye cream and the most volume-adding shampoo: I’ve searched and found them all. So when Gene Juarez reached out to me to try out a new hair product line they are carrying – I was SO in.
Gene Juarez is a wonderful salon & spa with locations in the Seattle area – and no matter what service you get and which salon you go to – the service is always top-notch. I had the opportunity to visit the downtown salon and have my hair styled – using the R+Co product line which Gene Juarez exclusively carries in the Pacific Northwest. I then got to take home my favorites. It was an awesome experience and I’m excited to share these products with you!
Now let’s talk product. Another thing about me: I work at a creative agency and am completely obsessed with design. As you can see from the gorgeous product photos – R+Co is not just a hair product line but a beautiful packaging design example. This rare combination means love-at-first-sight for me – and hopefully now, for you.
When I tried out the products, I came away with my favorites: the Death Valley dry shampoo, Aircraft pomade mousse and Outer Space flexible hair spray. My hair is fine and naturally a bit wavy – too much product weighs it down and anything oily will ruin my hair style. Combining the dry shampoo, pomade mousse and hair spray keep my waves natural, keep my roots from getting oily and gives my hair a natural sheen & bounce.
You can buy these products locally (Seattle) at Gene Juarez, one of my favorite hair salons in the city. Or, if you are outside of the Seattle area, you can purchase them online at the R+Co website. Now, a quick hair style tutorial.
The coolest of all hair styles right now is the half-bun (and the Man Repeller said it, so it’s bible guys). This hair style works for almost any hair length/type and takes about 5 minutes to pull together. For lazy style bloggers like me – that’s the only kind of hair style I’m willing to invest in. Here’s how to do the oh-so-cool half-bun hair style:
Half-Bun How-To with R+Co Hair Product Line from Gene Juarez Salon & Spa
- Start with dry or damp hair – doesn’t need to be freshly washed (works better if it’s not, actually).
- Shake up the Death Valley Dry Shampoo bottle and spray on to your roots, lifting up sections of hair to get underneath on the sides of the crown of your head. Use your fingers to work in the dry shampoo, giving yourself a nice lil’ head massage.
- Use a hair dryer to heat up your roots, and continue to work in the dry shampoo. This will heat up the natural oils from you scalp and allow you to distribute them down through your roots for a more even hair texture (and less oily roots – my issue). You can use a brush or wide-tooth comb to gently work the oils down to your roots. Don’t actually brush out your hair – you want to keep your natural texture and/or waves.
- Now, spray a quarter-sized amount of the Aircraft Pomade Mousse into the palm of your hand and gently rub your hands together. Take your hands and grab the sides of your hair, and start to scrunch up sections of the hair, working in the mousse product. You can use more or less product depending on how much hair you have – and make sure to go under the first layer of hair. But – less product is always better – so don’t go cray cray on the mousse. Unless you’re going for that crunchy-look.
- Your hair should start looking a bit messy and wavy. That’s perfect. Now, gather a section of hair on the top of your head (see picture above for how much) and start to use your fingers to comb it back and pull it together with your hands. You are going to very casually twist your hair into a bun and secure it with an elastic. Pull some strands from the base of the bun to loosen up the hair – you want to loose messy and chic.
- Finally, use the Outer Space Hair Spray to secure your style in place. You just need a few, small sprays, followed by scrunching up the sides of your hair to keep everything looking natural and messy.
And if this seems daunting or too hard to do yourself – go get your hair styled at Gene Juarez! I recommend booking Rose at the downtown salon – you can show her this blog post and she’ll teach you how to do it yourself!