The first half of your 20s are quite a disaster, right? Ok, a really, really fun disaster, but a disaster nonetheless. And I’m happy to say I’ve made it. I’ve made it to 25 with a giant smile on my face. And it’s crazy to think that this time 4 years ago, I was celebrating 21 in Dublin with new friends. 3 years ago, I was celebrating 22 in Bellingham. And now, here I am, 25 years old, Social Marketing Manager, fashion blogger, ridiculous person, living independently in Seattle and definitely imprinting laugh-line wrinkles into my face with every day that goes by.
And on my first day of being 25, I can honestly say that I am truly happy. It’s a combination of things that are happening now and this year, and the specific reasons why are irrelevant – but the point I’m trying to make is that this blog, and you, my readers, are one of those reasons. Writing, styling, chatting fashion and sharing my creativity with you all through this channel is something that gives me joy. All the emails, messages, comments and notes that you all have sent me over the past couple years have meant so much – from every little “great post” comment to 500 word emails detailing how I’ve inspired someone – it makes writing and creating these posts so much more important.
So on my first day of being 25, I want to say thank you. Thank you to family who’ve brought me up and helped me become the unique, interested and motivated individual that I am. Thank you to my dear friends who have helped me gain confidence, created life-long memories with me, and shared our deepest darkest secrets together. And thank you to everyone I’ve met along the way – from my 4th grade English teacher who changed my life to the elderly man in the tie-die shirt from the 5K I ran last week – YOU all inspire me to be better, and grow, every day and every year.
And now let’s get to the fun stuff. I’ve got 5 years until I’m 30. Until dirty-thirty. It’s blowing my mind. And there are SO many things I want to do before I get there – so many experiences I want to have. So I’ve decided to create a list that I’m calling my “30 before 30″ – thirty things I want to do or accomplish before I turn 30. 5 years to check these things off. Starting today and ending October 1st 2017, the day I will turn 30.
- Go bungee jumping
- Publish an article or blog post in a top tier magazine/online publication
- Go to Paris with someone I love
- Travel to India
- Take an airplane flying lesson
- Cook Julia Child’s Beef Bourguignon
- Perform (sing) in front of a large crowd of strangers (again)
- Run a 10K
- Finish a half marathon
- Do a triathlon
- Go to Fashion Week in NYC
- Taking sewing classes
- Sew and finish a collection of clothing
- Change a strangers life (for the better)
- Go to the South of France
- Speak at a large, well known marketing conference
- Get a dog
- Fall in head over heels love
- Paint a large canvas that I’m proud of
- Visit New Orleans
- Pay off student loans & be debt free
- Successfully French braid my own hair
- Write and finish an entire song (piano & voice) & record it
- Learn to play a full song (with chords) on the guitar
- Cook an entire Noruz dinner (Persian New Year)
- See dolphins in the ocean
- Organize a charity event
- Instill confidence in someone else
- Achieve my personal career goals by 30
- Be able to look back on my 20s and be proud of everything I’ve experienced & accomplished
And there they are, written out in open internet space for all to see. Alright – 5 years, 30 items, so much life to experience – let’s do this.