Disclaimer: This blog post is not meant for the stylish men who already have their look together. It is for the men who really don’t know what women want to see them in – and who don’t have a fashion gene guiding their way to the right outfit every morning. For those men who know their way around Nordstrom – keep on doing your thing.
This is guy HOT. But if you aren't currently as stylish as James Bond here, then read this post before attempting white pants.
Alright men, it is time to step up your game. Dressing well, dressing in a way that attracts fashionable, smart women is NOT that difficult. So why do so many men get it wrong?
I think the main reason is that there are so many options, and so many images of what women think is hot – many of them not being realistic for the average guy to mimic. And true “fashion” in the sense of Italian Vogue is not really what most women I know, including myself, are attracted to. While I can admire a man who has amazing style – no one wants a man who is more decked out than they are. The woman is the jewel – but that man should be clean, confident and crisp. And those are my 3 rules for men to live by when buying clothes.
3 Simple Rules: How Women Want Men to Dress
Keep your outfit clean, simple and fresh. While its obvious that your shirt should be stain-free, ironed and washed, when I say clean, I mean minimalistic. Stick with solids and simple patterns. If you aren’t a stylish dude – don’t try and rock a pink or lime green polka-dot polo. The safest and sexiest colors are navy, black, white and grey. And when your white shirt isn’t really white anymore – wash it with some bleach. And if its still not really white – THROW IT OUT!
Ok, DUH you guys should be confident (good posture, confident when you speak, etc.), but your clothes need to give off confidence. They should be well made, not worn out or washed out. They should also fit you – I know that there was a temporary fad of men wearing clothes that could fit their entire posse inside, but that is out (Thank GOD!) and your clothes should fit you. That also means they shouldn’t be skin tight, bro. (See pictures below for correctly fitting clothing)
Whats the different between Guy #1 in jeans and a white t-shirt, and Guy #2 in jeans and white t-shirt? Guy #1 is HOT, and probably getting laid (Guy #1 is home playing Halo or something lame). But to be more specific, the lame guy is wearing an oversized t-shirt with no shape and wrinkles, and jeans with a super-faded wash and monkey decals on the butt pockets. Hot guy is wearing a crew-neck white t-shirt that is fitted and ironed, and a pair of dark wash bootcut jeans rolled at the cuff.
Honorary Rule #4: THROW IT OUT! Ever had a girlfriend who wanted to throw out an old sweater? Perhaps she had a point. Seriously – ratty clothes are not sexy. And I get sentiment in certain clothing. So take a picture and hang it on a string, hang that on a hangar, and BOOM! Your memory still lives. But that ugly old sweater is gone, and your chances of getting laid just went up 100%.
Pictures of clothes you can actually go out and purchase (right now if you’re super excited!)
- Classic crew neck sweater. So, so sexy. From Nordstrom.
- The basic v-neck tee from American Apparel. Wear alone or under any button up shirt for a simple, sexy look. From American Apparel.
- Cardigans are European looking, simple and super hot. Wear them over t-shirts, buttoned up in any dark shade color.
Plaid is very in right now - and super hot. Paired with dark washed fitted jeans and a nice pair of loafers, they give off that "I can do hard work like a farmer but I'm really a business man" look.
Button ups. They can go to work (suit), they can go to coffee (with jeans), they can on a date (with jeans). This one is from American Apparel.
This is so sexy. A laid back button up shirt, with the sleeves rolled up. Why do all the models roll up their sleeves in the pictures online? Cause its totally hot. So you should do it. Most men have great forearms, so show them off, boys!
Polos are totally OK! But make sure they fit. The biggest mistake I see, is guys where polos that are either too big (like "tall tees" big) or too tight (like "tool" tight). It should fit like the picture - a little loose but fitted.
The classic American Apparel hoodie. Perfect for any casual outing, with a plain colored t-shirt underneath.
Sweatshirts with a collared shirt underneath are a very put-together, confident look. You can usually wear them to the office or on a date. This one is from American Apparel.
Yay for boat-shoes! They are very stylish, and as comfortable as sneakers! So please, boys, replace your sneakers with these, and save the good-ol' lace ups for the gym.
- These can be your go-to dress up shoes. Simple, clean and sexy. From Nordstrom.
- Loafers are a must. They go with slacks or jeans. Get dark brown or black. Buckles can make the look more stylish, just ask your salesperson for help.
- Jeans. Stick with a dark wash. Don’t do “skinny” jeans unless you are a fashion diva man (or a hipster).
- Your butt will look good in a pair of high-quality jeans. And please, no butt decals or designs that are too obvious. I can’t tell you how many back pockets I’ve seen with stitched dragons or cartoon monkeys. These are from Nordstrom.
More little tips for the dude that really needs more help:
- Shoes are tough. My suggestion? Don’t wear sneakers unless you’re going to the gym. It will dress up even the most casual outfit. See pics of suggested shoes above.
- The first thing most women notice about men: Shoes, teeth, hands and height. So make sure your shoes are clean, your teeth are white, your hands are smooth and your posture is straight.
- In my opinion, you can’t go wrong shopping at Nordstrom, Express & American Apparel. Ask the sales people, the ladies, for help! Especially at Nordstrom – they will really help you out in finding the right fit and item.
- With jewerly – just don’t. If you aren’t a guy with a fashion sense, then you probably don’t know how to rock men’s jewelry. Stick with just a watch or nothing at all. Oh, your wedding ring is probably a good idea (if your married).
- Try on your clothes! I know you men hate shopping, but please, try on your clothes for fit. Don’t just pick you “your size” because every piece of clothing, every brand, every store, will be different!
- Ask for help from a well dressed woman friend or family member. Just ask. Most women love taking men shopping!
- Take off the chain, dude. Seriously. Take it off.
- Don’t put too much product in your hair. You’re not DJ Pauly D.
- Please don’t wear ANY cologne that you can purchase at a drug/grocery store. If you want to wear cologne, buy it from a department store, and just wear one or two sprays.
- I think a man in a grey crew cut fitted t-shirt, pair of dark wash jeans and loafers is as sexy as it gets. So keep it simple – most women will appreciate it!
So what does everyone think? Men, dressing well isn’t that hard, is it? And ladies, do you agree? What additional advice do you have for the bachelors out there?
This post is brought to you by the Stone Island section of the Vanmildert.com website – The UK’s leading Stone Island retailor. Check out their website for the latest trends from Barbour, Hugo Boss, Firetrap, G Star and more.